Wednesday, August 24, 2005
R&D on a Stator Cover
Okay, this picture is what I started with. Not very pretty, huh? This cover started with some scratches, oxidation and yellowing clear coat. It appeared that someone had stripped some of the clear coat off, so half the cover was covered with yellow clear coat and the other half with stained aluminum. In this write up, you can click any of the pictures to see a larger picture with better detail. I started by removing anything that wasn't metal/aluminum. This included removing the oil level window and the plastic plug near the top of the stator cover. I also removed the crank end cover with the rubber o-ring seal underneath. When I jumped in to start this, I did not know what I was going to end with, so I did this experiment on a spare stator cover that I acquired. My spare cover was in worse condition than the one on my bike, so with the results, I am happy.