Click for Callaway, Virginia Forecast

Monday, April 11, 2005

Thank You Mr. Murphy

You gotta luv riging a Yamaha Vision. Just when you get the bike to running beautifully, Mr. Murphy decides he wants to take a spin on the bike. In this case, he decided he thought I should have a stuck float needle in the carburator. Thanx Murphy. How did I know this is what was wrong? In the picture below, you can see gasoline running out from under the bike as if i was just pouring the gas onto the ground. At $2.19 a gallon, I doubt I would be doing this on purpose.





Luckily, this is a simple fix and it was only on the front carburator. I started by draining the carburator float bowl. I drained the float bowl with the large brass bolt on the left, opposed to the float bowl drain screw on the right. The brass bolt covering the main jet is sealed with a washer and the drain screw is sealed with a small "O-ring". I didn't want to disturb the "o-ring" and risk it leaking on me as I didn't have one to replace it. Of couse after I took out the brass bolt, I promptly lost it somewhere in the bike or the grass or the fairing or somewhere.





Once the float bowl was completely drained and found and reinstalled the brass bolt over the main jet, I disconnected the overflow drain hoses and stuck the nozzle tube of some spray carburator cleaner into the plastic outlet. I hosed the inside of the float bowl pretty good. Then tapped on the side of the float bowl several times, hoping to dislodge any dirt that might be making the needle hang up. Then hosed it some more. I just used generic spray carburator cleaner.





I hooked everything back up, set the petcock to prime for a few moments, then tried to fire her up. Of course with all the carb cleaner in the float bowl, it took a while to fire. When she did eventually fire, it appeared that I have fixed yet another problem with the Vision. I usually use SeaFoam in all of my gas engines, but.... (Here's my excuse) I had run out a while ago and had not bought more, call me lazy. I do swear by the stuff, and as you can see when I don't use it, Mr. Murphy seems to be able to find where I hide the keys to the bike.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?